Conundrum Coffee's Green Initiatives
AN ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS ESTABLISHMENT
At Conundrum Coffee, environmental responsibility is not a task but rather a passion. We believe that “Going Green” reaches much deeper than political correctness and marketing spin. Being environmentally responsible is being weaved into the culture of Conundrum Coffee.
Because environmental responsibility is a passion of ours it permeates our entire business operation. We truly live the principal of the 3R’s: Reduce, Reuse & Recycle. Below is a sampling of the many ways we live out our commitment to promote environmental stewardship.
- We apply environmental criteria when making purchasing decisions.
- Evaporative cooling systems are used instead of large scale air conditioners.
- Our packaging/shipping materials are recyclable, reusable and/or biodegradable. In addition we reuse of numerous inbound packaging materials for outbound shipments including air filled bags, biodegradable peanuts and cardboard corner guards.
- We consolidate deliveries.
- Recycling might seem like old news while lots of people are getting revved up and excited about combating the latest environmental problems (global warming, for example!). But even if it has shed its glamour, much like bell bottoms, and the grapefruit diet, recycling is still an important way to contribute to an organization’s environmental management system. We look to reuse and recycle as much as possible. This applies to the reuse of plastic buckets for our roasting and local delivery needs, to the burlap bags and wood pallets. Recycling bins are found throughout the facility to promote the proper disposal of the materials in our Roastery.
- We reduce waste and practice energy reduction when possible.
- We encourage carpooling, public transportation, and using alternative modes of transportation.
CONUNDRUM ENVIRONMENTAL TEAM
Conundrum Coffee has formed an environmental “green” team of employees. The team was put together to implement, monitor and control the sustainable efforts happening in the roaster and offices. With a team dedicated to sustainable issues, we believe that Conundrum will maintain its efficiencies and continue to find ways to reduce its impact on the environment.
A GREEN FUTURE
As Conundrum continues to innovate and grow, we are always looking for ways to incorporate more environmentally friendly strategies and ideas into our production and everyday business practices. Conserving energy, reducing waste and becoming more efficient are all taken into consideration when observing the future of our company and its relationship with the environment.
We purchase coffees with the following certifications:
Conundrum Coffee appreciates Fair Trade’s mission for sustainable development and community empowerment. Their values align with ours and we love the quality coffee beans they connect us with. Fair Trade’s visions of helping social, economic and environmental development projects are commendable. Conundrum Coffee believes that it is important to support the coffee industry from the farmer to the shelf.
We work to source coffees that are grown sustainably and represent the best of the region. We pay special attention to the stories behind the coffee.